Are you fond of making online transactions? If you do, then pretty sure that you are also aware about scammers over the Internet. Do you know that there are a lot of bad guys out there, who takes for granted the innocence of online consumers? This is the reason why sometimes, it is not easy to trust companies, who is dealing with online bookings and reservations.
If you are a potential customer online and then, you failed to check the legitimacy of the website, you might fall into the wrong hands. The websites that scammers sets up looks realistic and formal. So, as a consumer, you would really think that it is a good site. You will then finish your first transaction with them and send payments using your credit or debit cards. But, you will never hear anything from them again once you start sending them complaints.
That usually happens to the victims of online scammers, especially to those who are booking for car hires. This is a situation that you would surely not want to happen to you, right? So, we have here a few tips about how you can stay away from those scammers on the Internet.
What to check
- When you are linked to a car hire website, you have to make sure that this is a secured site. Look at the URL of the website and you can find an https in the bar. If the https is there, but you still doubt, if the website is official, then you better call the company, ask your friends or government agencies, who are in-charged in the database of registered car hire companies. Through this, you can make sure that the site that you are going to access has a good reputation.
- It could have been better, if you are going to access a website of a well-known company. In such a way, you will know that it is not a scam. Companies that are known cannot easily be used as a form of scam because consumers know that they are secured. So, scammers cannot copy their IP address to be used in hacking.
- If your friends can recommend you a trusted website, then that’s good. And then, if you still doubt it, you better ask for the legality of the company by checking from the Better Business Bureau.
- Do not use your Debit Cards to pay online transactions. It could have been better, if you are going to use your Credit Card. In such a way, the scammers won’t have an access to your bank accounts. Most Credit Card companies are already offering fraud protection for their clients. So, it is safer to use online.
- If you have made your booking online, then do not forget to check the status of your reservation by giving the company a phone call. This is also a good way to confirm that the company you are dealing with is for real. If you call them and you found out that your booking is there, then that is a good point.